We’re almost always in the middle of a unit study of some kind in our homeschool. Since we enjoy delight-directed learning, unit studies work well for us. Whether it’s a marine life unit study or the online Solar System unit study we’re currently doing, we enjoy fully exploring topics of interest — especially because we can tailor our lessons to each of my girls’ abilities, yet they’re working together. Just like a good old-fashioned one-room schoolhouse!
10 Reasons to Love Unit Studies
1. You get to use real living books, not just textbooks.
2. You can teach multiple students – at different levels – all at the same time. Learning together strengthens family bonds.
3. Flexibility! You choose what to study, how long you spend on the topic, and how deeply you study it.
4. You can teach to your children’s interests. That means delight-directed!
5. It simplifies your homeschooling. Just add math and language arts.
6. Unit studies can be purchased or homemade. We’ve been using Amanda Bennett unit studies for years, but I have also created many unit studies specifically for our interests.
7. Your children will retain the knowledge they’ve gained better because they’ve learned it in context.
8. They don’t break your budget. Purchase a study once, use with multiple children, and locate library and online resources for free.
9. Children will learn how to use research tools and the library as you locate resources together.
10. It turns learning into an adventure for your children – and you!
Do you use unit studies in your homeschool?
Linking up with the iHomeschool Network: