When you’ve got three very creative daughters, it can be tough coming up with new ideas and ways to encourage them in arts and crafts all the time. If I had a nickel for every time I heard the words, “Mama, I want to create something!” I’d be a rich woman. Of course I do want to encourage them, so I’m always on the lookout for new creative projects they’ll enjoy. They were really thrilled with one of my latest finds — 3D pens from IDO3D.
Disclosure: I received a 3D pen set at no cost for the purpose of review. I was compensated for my time. All opinions are my own and I was not required to write a positive review.
Arts and Crafts with 3D Pens for Kids
IDO3D makes several kits, but we’ve been using the IDO3D Vertical Three Pen Zoo Art Set. It comes with everything you need to get started with 3D art, including:
- 2 art molds
- 3 pens (yellow, green, and red in this kit)
- Curing light (cool blue LED)
- Instruction sheet
- Transparent plastic tracing sheet
Why We Like IDO3D
All three of my daughters (7, 9, 14) have been able to work on these projects together. I love projects like that! My youngest has needed some help to get started and put things together, but like any creative art form, it takes practice and some adjusting to the medium. With each project, they’ve gotten better.
Everything you need is included in one affordable set. I don’t have to scramble for extra supplies. Even the batteries are included! It’s very easy to get out the box, set up our work area, then put everything away neatly.
The sets come with project ideas and instructions. You don’t have to stare at the supplies and wonder what you’re going to make or how to put it together. The included instructions give you a great place to start and get the creative ideas flowing. Since we’ve been using the Zoo set, it came with instructions to make a giraffe, a penguin, and a panda.
The IDO3D website has great resources! They offer free video art instructions as well as printables to make many other projects. After working on the ideas that came with our kit, my girls wanted to try making a mermaid, a unicorn, and a bridge. I was able to print instruction sheets for all of those on the website. You’ll want to check it out at www.createin3d.com.
Important points to note:
- You must use the light to get the ink to harden or it will remain very sticky and your projects will fall apart. The ink is sort of like a gel or glue in consistency.
- It takes practice. Don’t expect to make ideal projects right out of the gate. Enjoy the creative process without becoming frustrated. That’s why I think these kits are great for kids who are naturally creative and don’t mind experimenting without high expectations initially. If your kids have fun just trying new ways to create, they’ll probably enjoy this.
- Use the tools they give you in the kit! The molds and tracing sheet make projects easier to put together.
Watch them in action:
IDO3D offers several different sets, depending on your child’s interests. I would absolutely buy another set for my girls because they enjoyed it so much. They have their eyes on the Butterflies and Fairies set that comes with pink and purple ink. I think these will make great Christmas gifts!
Connect with IDO3D
You can learn more by following IDO3D on social media:
3D Pens Giveaway
You can enter for a chance to win your own! 3 winners will receive an IDO3D 3-pen set.