Although we celebrate Jesus, the real reason for Easter, we also enjoy some fun springtime arts and crafts and baking. These cookies are a bright and cheerful splash of color (and yumminess!) for springtime baking. Enjoy these Bunny Paws cookies!
Homemade Bunny Paws Cookies
This recipe will yield 18 bunny paw cookies:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter – softened at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/4 cup Wilton white sparkling sugar sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Line a cookie/baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix with a whisk to evenly distribute. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugar. With an electric mixer on medium speed, cream until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
5. One at a time, add the eggs (continue on medium speed) and mix until well combined. Mix in the vanilla extract.
6. On low speed, add 1/4 of the dry ingredients and mix until well distributed. Continue to add flour, 1/4 cup at a time until all is mixed in and combined. Be sure to use a spatula and scrape the sides of the bowl to get all the flour mixed in.
7. Sprinkle some flour on a hard surface or cutting board and on your hands. Place some of the dough on the hard surface and press down with your hands (or use a roller) to make it about 1/4 inch thick.
8. Using the egg-shaped cookie cutter, cut out egg shapes from the dough and place on parchment-lined cookie sheet. Repeat until all of the dough is used up.
9. Sprinkle each cookie with sparkling white sugar crystals.
10. Bake in 350° preheated oven for exactly 10 minutes (any longer and they will turn brown).
11. Let cookies cool in pan for one minute. While still warm, press a large Wilton colored chocolate melt into each cookie on the smaller end of the egg shape.
12. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to completely cool.
13. Once cooled, pipe icing to make 3 dots on the larger end of each cookie for the toes.
Do you have any special baking projects planned for this spring?